Saturday, January 23, 2016

ZOMBIE SATURDAY

 Good Saturday morning my lovelies,  I know most of you are under snowmageddion and need something to read . So I am going to give you something different to read . Welcome to HELLSPAWN by Ricky Fleet .

                            BOOK BLURB

10.35 AM, September 14th 2015. Portsmouth, England.
A global particle physics experiment releases a pulse of unknown energy with catastrophic results. Scientists in their laboratories search desperately for a solution to the broken fabric of existence, but they are already too late, the sanctity of the grave has been sundered.
There is no virus or bacteria to combat, just chaos and horror as a million graveyards expel their tenants from eternal slumber. The world is unaware of the impending apocalypse, realisation only dawns with the appearance of the mouldering corpses who devour everything they encounter. Governments crumble and armies are scattered to the wind.
Kurt Taylor, a self-employed plumber, witnesses the start of the horrifying outbreak. Desperate to reach his family before they fall victim to the ever growing horde of shambling corruption, he flees the scene, watching the unfolding cannibalism and destruction in his rear view mirror.
In a society with few guns, how can people hope to survive the endless waves of zombies that seek to consume every living thing? With ingenuity, planning and everyday materials, the group forge their way and strike back at the Hellspawn legions. Rescues are mounted, but not all survivors are benevolent. The evil that is in all men has been given free rein in this new, dead world. With both the living and dead to contend with, is there any hope for the Taylor family? 

                                 MY REVIEW
    The first I heard of this book from a good friend of mine. She told me I had to read, so I did . Boy I was glad I listened to her . I couldn't put this book down . It is such a good twist on the zombie tale . Showing us how the beginning of the apocalypse and how one family stayed alive .
  The author has taken the zombie apocalypse  and put a fresh twist on it .  He took a day in the lives of one family and basically put them through hell as they try and stay alive . But guess what all the evil things in this world aren't the undead, there are people that are still alive that are wanting to hurt them. I couldn't believe some of the things this poor family went through, the perils are great and the tension is so thick . You want them to survive so much , you are cheering for them with every thing they defeat .
   The characters are so complex and so flawed at the same time . There is a story within the story of here . What would you do if you were trapped in the apocalypse with your school bully? What would you do when you have some father / son unresolved emotions that are simmering at the surface? What would you do when you feel utter despair when you have to keep your family safe and alive? These questions are all answered with these characters. Kurt is your everyday man, who works hard for a living . When he has to keep his family safe, you see him take control and help everyone one out. I have to say my all time favorite character is Mrs. Humes , she is one gutsy lady and the way she handles herself is what I want when I grow up. She also adds a bit of comic relief when things are getting way to tense. She is a sweet character that I hope and pray makes it all the way through.
   This book had me screaming one moment then bawling my eyes out in the next . There is one part in the book that I could hardly read because the tears were streaming down my face. It was so sad all I could do was ugly cry. I was sitting on the edge of my chair most of the time and the other times I had the blanket pulled over my head. I cheered with every inventive way they came up with to kill the masses . Some of them were very ingenious and who knew that a table and nails would be such a good tool. The sign of a great book is how many emotions that a person goes through when reading . Mr. Fleet brought out those emotions with great ease. You are taken on a ride with so many twists and turns.  Ultimately this a story of survival and one family's love for each other and what they would do to be safe . I can't wait till book two . So if you want a fresh twist on the start of the zombie apocalypse and one family's survival . Check it out you won't be disappointed . 

No comments:

Post a Comment