Saturday, September 27, 2014

welcome to Saturday all

Welcome to Saturday all. Hope your weekend is going great. This is the perfect for me to do a lot of reading. Well just cause it is getting cooler and its suppose to rain. So great weather to snuggle up and read a great book. Like the one I just finished. THE VINES  by Christopher Rice

BOOK BLURB
The dark history of Spring House, a beautifully restored plantation mansion on the outskirts of New Orleans, has long been forgotten. But something sinister lurks beneath the soil of the old estate.
After heiress and current owner Caitlin Chaisson is witness to her husband’s stunning betrayal at her birthday party, she tries to take her own life in the mansion’s cherished gazebo. Instead, the blood she spills awakens dark forces in the ground below. Chaos ensues and by morning her husband has vanished without a trace and his mistress has gone mad.
Nova, daughter to Spring House’s groundskeeper, has always suspected that something malevolent haunts the old place, and in the aftermath of the birthday party she enlists Caitlin’s estranged best friend, Blake, to help her get to the bottom of it. The pair soon realizes that the vengeance enacted by this sinister and otherworldly force comes at a terrible price.

MY REVIEW
 OH MY GOD  is all I can say about this book. Christopher and his book gave me a really bad book hangover. I started this book but had to put it down for a rush review. Then picked this book back up cause it was calling me saying read me . You know you want to read me. So I did as the book told me. Made my big pot of popcorn and snuggled down. Started reading, page after page I read. Oblivious of the time that I was there. You know when you get into a book, you just can't put it down. When I realized that it was well past midnight. I started the book at 3 pm. Honestly didn't realize hubby even came in and fed himself. Yes that is how engrossed I was in the book.
  Christopher has us hooked from the very first chapter. You are swept into a story that will chill you and take you to places where you don't want to go. Trust me I am so happy i don't garden. I will get to that soon. The house itself is dark and mysterious.  Set on the outskirts of New Orleans , the house is a restored plantation house that has been owned Caitlin Chasson and her husband. The start of the story has us at a birthday party for Caitlin and she finds her husband having sex with another woman in their bathroom. As she runs out to the gazebo to try and end her life. She ends up waking something evil. This is where chaos breaks out. The vines take Caitlin's pain and goes and does her bidding. This is one of the reasons i am happy that i don't garden.
 As you read more into the story, there are layers of the story that you want to  know about. Caitlin's best friend is pulled into the mystery of her husbands disappearance. They find that there is more to the plantation house and the occupants that lived there before them,
  I fell in love with the whole concept of Christopher's book. The description of the lush scenery and the history mixed in with today's story line. You are not getting some hokey horror book with this story, There are layers of deceit and homophobia. That will break your heart and make you have a little ugly cry. Christopher will rip out your heart but give it back to you. As you watch each of the characters fight with the sins of their past . Even the sins of the past that went back generations.
You watch each character fight with the realization of the past sins they are a part of.
 This was the first book I have read from Christopher and trust me it will not be the last book. If you like Anne's books, you will love Christopher's. He writes with such a flair. So please check it out. I promise you will not be disappointed at all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment